Turning your car into a smoke-free zone is a great way to reduce temptation. Here are some ways to stop smoking in your car:
Ditch everything that could trigger your desire to smoke, including:
- The ashtray. If you don’t want to remove it completely, wash it thoroughly and fill it with healthy treats.
- Lighters, matches, and cigarettes.
- Music that might trigger memories you connect to smoking
Remove the odour of smoke and any visual reminders of your smoking habit
- Give your car a thorough cleaning, inside and out. Shampoo the seats and floor mats, scrub the windows, and vacuum the trunk.
- If you have a specific pair of shoes you tend to drive in, either get rid of them or make sure they are deodorized.
- Hang air fresheners or deodorizers to cover up any residual tobacco smell.
Stock your car with things that can help you overcome cravings when they hit, like:
- Healthy snacks that keep your mouth busy and don’t require refrigeration, such as granola bars, nuts, or low-fat popcorn.
- Nicotine replacement gum or lozenges.
4. Change your routines
Make small changes that’ll make it harder to smoke. Try:
- Turning up your favourite music and singing along.
- Listening to audio books or podcasts.
- Keeping a strict no smoking rule for anyone who catches a ride in your car.